I was excited for this week’s listicles. I’m always listening to the twins and all their ideas about what they think they will be when they grow up. E is certain she will be a Vet and K is sure she will be a famous singer/fashionista. It makes me think back to when I was a kid and all the things I thought I would be!
1. Beauty Shop: this was my number one. I always was doing my Mom’s hair, and buying all kinds of weird new hair tools. I was certain throughout my entire life I was going to grow up to be a beautician.
2. Teacher: I always admired all teachers and thought what a cool job, plus you get summers off to play – bonus!
3. Veterinarian. I never really wanted to work on the animals because I saw it as such a horrific way to heal animals (even though obviously as an adult I understand it better). However, I wanted (and did sometimes) rescue every stray animal that came in my path! We had more stray animals than you can count, and I love my Mom for never saying no when I brought home an animal in need. Much to my hubby’s dismay I still am this way to this day. It’s hard for me to say No……
4. Mommy. I know it’s an odd one, but ever since I was little I always wanted to be a Mommy; I somehow just knew it was my destiny. Even though we didn’t have a lot growing up, my Mom tried to make our home to be the best it could. She could take lemons and make lemon aid and to me that made her the best homemaker ever. (By the way, I am the luckiest Mommy on the planet to 2 beautiful twins E n K, so that worked out!!)
5. Travel. I always thought it would be cool to be the person who traveled all over the world and saw things no one else saw. I wanted to have a passport with a hundred stamps on it and have stories to tell my Grandkids when I was old and gray.
6, Chef. I’m defiantly against following recipes; it’s always been that way I just don’t see the need. It’s a damper on creativity. I read a recipe and then make it my own. However, I do understand baking is truly a science and have come to grips with following those recipes (truth be told though, I still sneak a tweak to ingredients here and there – I can’t help it!!).
7. Writer. I loved to write and read. I was obsessed with reading everything I could get my hands on. Especially living in the South there was so much fun and history to read about.
8. Nurse. Taking care of people (and animals) brings great joy!
9. Race Car Driver. HA! Like that’s a surprise to anyone, I have a lead foot!! However, I thought the cars were SO cool and wouldn’t I be SO cool if I owned one.
10. Singer. Oh yes, I am a horrible singer, but I would sing so loud and out of tune that it would make every one laugh. My Mom would always say “Paigie, if your going to sing, sing loud, what do you care what people think!”…. and so I did. Now, K sings all the time and so loud – her voice is prettier than mine, and she is much more in tune. She sings non stop loud so all can hear, and I love it!
Funny thing is, all these things that I wanted to do/be as a kid, I am. So many of them become who you are as an adult. They become your goals and aspirations. I don’t quite have the traveling part down yet, but we’re working on it.
How does your career wish list as a kid compare to where you are now and what you’ve done?